What do you do when the mercury gets soaring? You munch on a cone or a popsicle to beat the heat. Now, that you are a dog parent, you think the poor thing may be feeling hot too, and you want to feed it some ice cream. That is the time you mull over this question – can dogs eat ice cream.
We would request our readers to avoid feeding your dog with ice cream, especially if it is of chocolate flavor or contains raisins. Chocolates and raisins are harmful to dogs and if your dog is lactose intolerant then refraining from giving them even an ounce of it. Let us find out more about this query because most dog owners have no clues what should they do about this.
Why Say No to – Can Dogs Eat Ice Cream?
You may be wondering why we should not feed them with ice creams. To tell you the truth your canine friends should stay away from anything that contains lactic acid. Food items like cheese and milk are best to be kept away. The cream in ice creams is not marked as healthy for dogs. In fact, a study has revealed that in 9 of 10 cases, the cream contains components that are harmful to a dog. Dairy products often contain lactose, and if your pooch is lactose intolerant, then it may cause havoc.
Moreover, ice cream contains high quantity of sugar, artificial sweeteners, and salt. Do we need to mention that all these ingredients are not good for your friend? Ice cream can raise blood sugar levels and may put your dog at the risk of diabetes. In addition to this, it must be added that these constituents most definitely are not good for their oral health as well. Why make them suffer? You can control your urge for feeding dogs people food for sure.
Symptoms Of Danger
In case, your dog is lactose intolerant or had too much of ice cream; then you should look for these symptoms to find out if everything is fine or not. If they do not show these signs, then you must believe it to be a lucky day for you.
You May Also Like:- Can Dogs Eat Celery?
• You will notice sudden rise in gas in them
• Little or too much of ice cream may cause bloating in dogs
• They may start vomiting instantly
• It may cause diarrhea
• You may find other gastrointestinal upset besides all this because ice cream is not good for their digestive system
The point is if you observe anything unusual in them, you should immediately report it to a vet. The faster, the better and that is the best resort as we are not doctors. Of course, vets know more than us, and they are professionals who handle such situations day in and day out.
If you ever want to feed them with ice cream, make sure that you do not give it to them as treats. We thought of sharing some homemade ice cream recipes with you, as these are healthy alternatives to unhealthy dairy-based ice creams.
1. Yogurt pops – Mix pumpkin and yogurt together in a bowl. Then freeze them in the shape of cup cakes or simple like ice. This is a healthy mix that your dog will enjoy the most.
2. Peanut butter and banana pups – Blend banana and peanut butter into a smooth paste. Then freeze it in the shape of your choice. Serve it to them chilled and saw them munch to glory.
3. Banana and honey ice cream – Combine banana, honey, peanut butter and yogurt into a bowl. Make a paste of this and then freeze this mixture into an ice tray. Watch them gorge every bit of this treat.
Benefits of Homemade Ice Cream for Dogs
We would like to voice that homemade ice cream is way more hygienic than the one’s readymade ones. Also, you are in control of the ingredients, and you know your dog’s eating very well. You can make popsicles practically out of anything they eat. Apart from this, homemade ice creams have advantages like:
• The ingredients are fresh
• Can be made out of various elements
• You may get a variety of flavors as a result
• They usually do not contain artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
• You control the amount of sugar that goes into it
• Otherwise are rich in calcium, vitamins, and proteins
Additional Information On Ice Creams
• Did you know that ice creams can reduce the risk of cancer?
• Did you know that ice cream can stimulate the brain and can make your dog happy?
• Did you know that ice cream can help lose weight because the body burns calories while warming down from the cold effect of the ice creams?
• Did you know that ice creams are an instant source of energy?
In spite of, all the goodness you still should not feed your dog with ice cream. If you have ever fed your pet dog with some and Fido has not reacted to it then you must consider yourself lucky without a doubt. If you ask us directly can dogs eat ice cream, we would still say no to it.
You May Also Like:- Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Doing it once a while may not be that harmful but not on a regular basis. Nonetheless, if you are feeding them with homemade ones, then you are free to do it. Look for doggie ice cream recipe that will make your life easy and they will not feel left out. Yes, we know they are like kids, and they want a piece of whatever we eat. To be honest, even we want to share everything with them. Making ice creams at home could be the right way out of this problem. What say?